From a safe location, follow these steps to report a lost or stolen laptop or other mobile device:
- Report the theft to the local police department. Things you'll need to know (or find out):
- Make (Apple, Dell)
- Model (Macbook Pro, Dell XPS)
- Serial Number of the Device
- Value of the Device
- If it's a Rice-owned device or a personal device used at Rice, also report the theft to the Rice University Police Department and your manager or supervisor. Be prepared to provide the case number from the local police department.
- Rice University Police Department: (713) 348-5156 or (x6000 on-campus) any time day or night
- Contact the Rice OIT Help Desk during business hours. You will be asked:
- Was the device encrypted?
- Did the device contain any Rice protected data on the device?
- Did you enable any remote location or wipe tools (iCloud etc)?
The Rice OIT department will reset your password and block all access to network resources, including e-mail, until such a time that you can change your password. The Information Security Office will work with you to try and determine if any protected data is at risk.